The Postgraduate Department of Mathematics
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Mathematics is a vibrant department which holds a special place in the history of our college. It had the privilege of being the first department in the college to be upgraded, first, to the undergraduate and then to the postgraduate level in the aided stream. The first UG programme, B.Sc. Mathematics Model I, started in 1991 and the first PG programme, M.Sc. Mathematics, started in 2013. The department also offers a Complementary Mathematics course for B.Sc. Chemistry (Model I) B.Sc. Physics (Model II) and Integrated M.Sc. Physics programmes. Having completed 30 years of academic excellence, the department ensures quality education in Teaching, Learning & Research through various academic and co-curricular activities. The department succeeds in producing good results with the impetus given by the hard working and diligent faculty. As per the motto, the department has always been striving to transform the students to be persons with a mind of integrity and thus produce holistic graduates with innovative and employability skills and ethical practices, prepared for a life of purpose, service and leadership to meet the social expectations.
- Seek, find, reveal and share truths of the universe through Mathematics.
- To emerge as a global centre of mathematical learning, academic excellence and innovative research.
- To develop a community proficient in mathematical skills, logical thinking and moral values
- To enable students to succeed in higher studies and careers and become elegant personalities and responsible citizens of the society and thereby making a better world.
- To provide a solid foundation in the subject with adaptability to a range of career objectives.
- To instill mathematical thinking & scientific skills
- To provide a conducive environment for learning by combining rigorous academics with the joy of exploration and discovery
- To inculcate the spirit of research through innovative teaching and research methodologies.
- The students are given guidance in career opportunities and a good number of them get placed annually in various companies/ institutions.
- Apart from emphasizing consistent and good academic performance, the Department encourages participation of students in curricular and co-curricular activities to bring out the best in them. They are provided with ample opportunities to improve their organizational skills and group dynamics.
- Varieties of programmes are regularly conducted in the Department under the banner of Mathematics Association.
- National webinars/ seminars, workshops, inter-collegiate quiz programmes, exhibitions etc. are conducted to upgrade the knowledge in Mathematics and research aptitude.
- The Department also finds time to extend services to poor people in the locality.
- M.Sc. Mathematics (2 Years) Number of Seats: 15
- B.Sc. Mathematics (3 Years) Number of Seats: 36
(Complementary Courses: Physics and Statistics)
RETIRED FACULTY LIST
- Dr. Lisy Cherian (Former Principal and HoD), 9447382727
- Dr. Annie Kurien K. (Former HoD), 9446517525
- Dr. Gigi George (Former Principal and HoD), 9446453860