Mar Thoma College for Women, situated in the municipal area of Perumbavoor, is the dream child of the late Thomas Mar Athanasius Suffragan Metropolitan of the Mar Thoma Church. A visionary, Thirumeni had foreseen that this college would cater to the educational needs of the girls of the suburban villages, in and around Perumbavoor. The college is owned by the Mar Thoma Evangelistic Association. Rt. Rev. Geevarghese Mar Athanasiusis the present manager of the college and the chairman of the governing board.
The college is affiliated with the Mahatma Gandhi University. It started functioning in 1982 as a junior college with the two groups. In 1991 it was upgraded to a degree college. The College is Among the top ten in Mahatma Gandhi University.
The Principal, the teaching staff, and the non-teaching staff work together as a well-knit team. The dedication, competence, and diligence of the staff have raised the reputation of the college within a short span of time. Since 1984, the college has maintained an excellent academic result and ever since it has retained a high position within the top ten places among the colleges under the Mahatma Gandhi University.
The college encourages many co-curricular activities, thus playing a major role in moulding the personality and empowering the young ladies to rise to the challenges in their daily life. The main thrust is to make them respond creatively and positively to the various needs of the society and the community they live in. Thus the NSS, NCC, Career Guidance, Brains Trust, Speaker’s Club, Women’s Cell, AIDS Awareness Cell, Reader’s Club and Nature Club function effectively. Apart from these, various Enrichment Programmes are being planned and conducted for the holistic development of the students. Though the college does not have a computer center, computer awareness and training is given to the students by an outside agency, within the college premises, under the supervision of the Mathematics department. The department of English conducts a Communicative English Course. The recently introduced short-term courses like ‘The Creative Art of Home Management’ and ‘Life Management’ are meant to cater to the future employment prospects of the young ladies who are educated here. In addition to all this, special emphasis is given to the spiritual and moral aspects of education. Value education is a compulsory part of the curriculum. And each day begins with the Morning Worship. Thus the college is steadily progressing in academic, cultural and spiritual pursuits. Within a short span of eighteen years, we have won the love, respect, and confidence of the community we cater to.
To enlighten and empower women in rural and suburban society and enable them to act as agents of social transformation and acquire knowledge of self and surroundings and to make the world a better place
- To stimulate the most conducive ambience for the promotion of quality in teaching and learning.
- To empower women students hailing from rural background to face the challenges of life with dignity, honour and self respect and to inculcate self-esteem in them.
- To become a centre of excellence providing value-based education aimed at an integrated development of individuals into responsible citizens with social commitment.
- To groom the personality of students making them self sufficient to reach out to the less privileged, the downtrodden and the abandoned in the community.
- To mould a team of students with the required knowledge, skills and attitude with global competency capable of working towards the transformation of the society.
- To create awareness to live in harmony with the natural environment, to preserve it and to act as agents of peace, goodwill, natural integration and solidarity to make the world a better place.
- To enable students to communicate effectively and to empower them to face the issues and challenges with poise and confidence.
- To work towards the growth of the institution into a center of excellence.
- To encourage students and teachers in the pursuit of knowledge and in setting high standards of academic achievement.
- To develop free and fearless thinking leading to intellectual and moral maturity.
- To promote a spirit of adventure and investigation leading to true wisdom and understanding which makes all study a discovery and a joy.
- To keep-up with the times and to take steps to impart a needbased education.