History

Mar Thoma College for Women, situated in the Municipal area of Perumbavoor, is the dream child of the late Thomas Mar Athanasius Suffragon Metropolitan of the Mar Thoma Syrian Church. A visionary, Thirumeni had foreseen that this college would cater to the educational needs and the empowerment of the girls of the rural and suburban areas, in and around Perumbavoor.

history

The people of Perumbavoor who have been feeling the need for an Arts and Science College in the town felt that the Mar Thoma Church, with its long history of excellent service in the educational field in the North Travancore area with their High schools at Keezhillam (St. Thomas High School, established -1922) and Perumbavoor (Asram High School, established-1931) and 14 Primary Schools in different places in the area would be the right agency to undertake this great task. The Sabha Council of the Mar Thoma church entrusted the Mar Thoma Evangelistic Association with the responsibility of starting of the college at Perumbavoor and Rt. Rev. Thomas Mar Athannasius Suffragan Metropolitan, the then President of the Association initiated necessary steps for the establishment of the college.

In his great vision and foresight, Thirumeni suggested that the college should be a Women’s College, which can open the doors of higher education to the educationally backward women of the area. Giving women proper education and building up in them true wisdom and sense of values so that they become responsible citizens with great vision who can immensely help in grooming a new generationof leaders. As the fulfilment of a long-cherished desire of the people of Perumbavoor and its suburbs, Mar Thoma College for women Perumbavoor was founded in 1982. The college, initially affiliated to the University of Kerala, started functioning as a junior college offering the third and fourth groups of Pre degree course with 92 students. When Mahatma Gandhi University was established in 1984, the college got affiliated to it. The college started offering science courses in 1984. In 1991 the college was upgraded to a degree college. At present the college offers 7 degree courses – B.Sc. Mathematics (1991), B.Sc Zoology (1993), B.Com (1995), B.A. History Vocational Archaeology and Museology (1998), B.A. English Vocational Administrative Assistant (1999), BSc Physics Vocational Applied Electronics (2001), B.Sc. Chemistry Model I (2006.) M.sc. Zoology.

The college is included in the list of colleges approved under section-2 (f) of colleges teaching up to Bachelors degree and is eligible to receive central assistance in terms of the rule framed under section 12-B of the UGC Act 1956. Since 1984, the college has maintained excellent academic results. Due attention is given to co-curricular activities and the students get ample opportunities for self-expression and self-development. The college also provides hostel facilities for students.

The college is accredited at the B level (72.5%) by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 2003.

The Mar Thoma Evangelistic Association (MTEA)owns the College. The Most Rev. Dr. Joseph Mar Thoma Metropolitan is the present patron of the College. Rt. Rev. Dr. Euyakim Mar Coorilos is the present Manager and the Chairman and Rev. George Vaghese Punnackadu serves as the General Secretary to MTEA.

Succession List of Managers

1. Rt. Rev. Thomas Mar Athanasius Suffragan Metropolitan

2. Rt. Rev. Dr. Philipose Mar Chrysostum Metropolitan

3. Most  Rev. Dr. Alexander Mar Thoma Metropolitan

4. Rt. Rev. Dr. Joseph Mar Irenaeus Suffragan Metropolitan

5. Rt. Rev. Dr. Philipose Mar Chrysostum Metropolitan

6. Rt. Rev. Geevarghese Mar Athanasius Episcopa

7. Most  Rev. Dr.Joseph Mar Thoma Metropolitan

8. Rt. Rev. Dr. Zacharias Mar Theophilos Suffragan Metropolitan

9. Rt. Rev. Thomas Mar Timotheos Episcopa

10. Rt. Rev. Dr. Euyakim Mar Coorilos